Lycium (aka Goji) berries are one of the world’s great tonic herbs. Here are just a few of the compounds that make these berries so effective and nutritious.
- Lycium barbarum polysaccharides (LBPs): Lycium barbarum polysaccharides (LBPs) are compounds that have anti-aging, antioxidant, antidiabetic, anticancer, neuroprotective, and immunomodulatory properties. They are considered the active ingredients in lycium berries.
- Calcium: Calcium is a mineral that is essential to proper bone growth.
- Zinc: Zinc is a trace element that helps the immune system fight off bacteria and viral infections. In addition, the body uses zinc to make proteins and DNA and to heal wounds. Zinc also supports the sense of taste and smell.
- Iron: Iron is used by the body to make hemoglobin, the substance in red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout the body to every cell.
- Copper: Copper is an essential nutrient for the body. Combined with iron, it enables the body to make red blood cells. It helps maintain nerves and healthy bones and supports immune functions.
- Chromium: Chromium is an important trace metal used for the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates in the body. Found in foods and herbs, it stimulates fatty acid and cholesterol synthesis, which are important for brain function and other body processes. It also aids insulin action in glucose metabolism.